Education Information - Veterans Affairs Office

The Ohlone College Veterans Affairs Office is the liaison to the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs for educational benefits. To be eligible, a veteran must have served continuously on active duty for a period of at least 181 days; 10 years must not have passed since discharge or release. The veteran must have served under conditions other than dishonorable in order to be eligible for assistance.

Before the college processes any student’s GI Bill educational program, he or she must be fully matriculated, with all transcripts on file and required tests taken.

Ohlone College offers Veteran’s educational benefits to eligible veterans, reservists, and dependents for most courses. Benefits may be paid for courses that are required for the student’s declared program of study on file in the Ohlone College Veterans Affairs Office (some limitations may apply).

All students who wish to receive VA education benefits MUST complete the matriculation process. Students receiving benefits must be aware of and maintain satisfactory academic progress throughout their program of study in accordance with Ohlone College and VA Standards of Progress.

Matriculation Requirements

Students must complete the Matriculation process, which includes completing assessments in reading, English and math, and meet with the Ohlone College Veterans Office academic counselor.

All students are required to have official transcripts from all prior colleges, universities, and training institutes on file within the first semester of attendance. New students must complete these requirements before the start of the first semester.

VA Standards of Progress

In addition to the current Ohlone College policy on probation/dismissal, students receiving VA education benefits must maintain a minimum term GPA of 2.00.

Failure to maintain a term GPA of 2.00 or better after two consecutive semesters and/or placed on dismissal status under Ohlone College SAP policy (whichever comes first) will be reported to the U.S.D. VA as maintaining Unsatisfactory Progress and VA educational benefits will be discontinued.

Students reported on Unsatisfactory Progress must receive Ohlone College academic counselor approval and/or must complete one semester of 6 units with a GPA of 2.00 or above before re-certification is possible. In order to ensure that satisfactory academic progress can be achieved, the Counselor may impose unit limits and/or require courses for which the VA will not pay.

Student Responsibilities

When Can You Expect Payment?

Approximately eight weeks after the application and enrollment certification is submitted to VA by our office, the student will receive a computer-generated award letter from VA showing the enrollment period certified, remaining entitlement, delimiting date, and claim number.

Questions Regarding Status of VA Benefits

Students who receive correspondence from the VA and have questions regarding their benefits should bring in the correspondence to the Ohlone College Veterans Office to expedite the receipt of their benefits.

It is the responsibility of each student to notify the Ohlone College Veterans Office of changes in unit status, courses, grades, academic objective, and number of dependents to be claimed, and address. In order to receive benefits on time or avoid the possibility of an overpayment, notify the office promptly of any adjustments. If you are a continuing student, it is necessary to request certification of enrollment every semester through the Veterans Office at the time of registration.

Students are also required to maintain satisfactory academic progress as outlined in the Ohlone College Catalog.

Further Information

Refer to the Ohlone College VA Reference Guide (PDF) , contact the Veterans Affairs Office at Ohlone College, or the Veterans Administration at:

Veterans Affairs Regional Office
Oakland Federal Building
1301 Clay Street, Room 1300 North
Oakland, CA 94612-5029
(800) 827-1000

Skip plugin notice.

Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".