Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Office of Student Services

General FAQ

Q. What are the enrollment fees at Ohlone?

The current term's fees are available online. Please contact the Cashier's Office for any questions about fees.

Q. Where can I find information about important deadlines?

The Academic Calendar is posted on the Admissions and Records website and is available in the front pages of each printed Class Schedule.

Q. What are Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)?

EOPS is a state-funded program whose objective is to serve educationally-disadvantaged students who meet financial eligibility guidelines. Eligible students need to be full-time, have a completed Financial Aid file, and meet educational criteria of the EOPS Program. EOPS offers book vouchers, additional counseling support, and other support services. For more information, see EOPS.

Q. How do online classes work?

Ohlone offers some classes that are 100% online and others that include varying degrees of web assignments. It is possible that an online class will require one or more meeting times on campus. Meeting times are included in the Class Schedule and WebAdvisor. Check the Class Schedule carefully to make sure you are available for any required in-person meetings. Online classes have means for students to communicate with instructors as well as with their classmates. Instructions about the format of the course and required software are provided. Courses are password protected so that only those students enrolled have access to the course materials.

With work demands, tight schedules, and increasing traffic congestion, there is a growing online community interested in taking courses in a more convenient manner. Many students have found online courses to be highly interactive, often with more feedback from instructors than traditional courses. The course material and unit value is comparable to courses taught in the classroom.

For more information about online classes, see Online Education.

Admissions and Records FAQ

Q. How do I submit an application?

The fastest and easiest way to apply is online via WebAdvisor. Your Ohlone College Student ID Number will be emailed to you once your application has been completed and then you can go online to create your WebAdvisor account. Students may choose to submit a paper application to the Admissions and Records Office on the Fremont campus or the Student Services Center on the Newark campus. You may download an Application for Admission (PDF).

Q. What does it take to get into Ohlone?

A high school diploma or equivalency or having reached the age of 18. (Please note: K-12 students are admitted and enrolled under different guidelines.) For more information about admissions, registration, transcripts, and more, see Admissions and Records.

Q. How do I register for classes?

Students register for classes online via WebAdvisor. If the class you want is full, you should add yourself to the waitlist. After the last day to add without the instructor’s signature the only way to add a class is by submitting an Add/Drop Form with the instructor’s signature to Admissions and Records.

Q. How do I drop a class?

You can drop a class online via your WebAdvisor account or by submitting an Add/Drop Form to Admissions and Records. It isn’t necessary to drop a class both via WebAdvisor and by submitting an Add/Drop Form; one or the other is sufficient. Be sure to drop by the deadlines posted in the Academic Calendar and printed Class Schedule. Per California Education Code students are not able to drop classes after the 75% point of the class.

Q. When does registration begin each term?

Please check the Academic Calendar on the Admissions and Records website for exact dates for each term. Registration for continuing students for Summer and Fall Terms generally begins in mid-April and registration for continuing students for Spring semester generally begins in mid-November. Registration for new/former students for Summer and Fall Terms generally begins in early May with registration for Spring semester beginning in early December. K-12 students are generally able to begin registering two weeks before each term begins.

Q. Why can't I get my child's grades?

The federal Family Rights and Educational Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 restricts any college or university from providing information about any student without the student's permission. This act also applies to K-12 students who attend Ohlone College. Provision of the information to parents/guardians of minors is permitted if the minor was claimed as a dependent for tax purposes. Ohlone College reserves the right to require documents verifying student's status as a dependent.

Q. I just found out I got an F in a class two years ago; how can I get that changed?

Per California Education Code, the only person who can change a grade is the instructor. You need to contact the instructor if you want to discuss your performance in class. If you thought you dropped the class, check your own records. You may also submit a petition to Admissions and Records who will research your registration records. However, it is the student's responsibility to drop classes.

Q. How do I obtain my official transcript?

See Transcripts on the Admissions and Records website.

The FAQ on the Admission & Records Office website has additional information.

Student Activities FAQ

Q. How do I waive my Student Activity Fee?

You must complete a letter to the ASOC answering specific questions found in the memo (available at the Student Activities Office).

Q. How do I reserve a room on campus for a meeting?

First, complete the Campus Events form available on the Student Activities website. We will get back to you with a room as soon as we know if it is available at the day/time you requested.

Q. Where do I get an ASOC Purchase Request?

The form is available at the Student Activities Office and in the ASOC mailbox area.

Q. Where do I get a Campus Events form? Is it necessary?

The Campus Events form is available on the Student Activities website. Yes, it is necessary to book the space and request special needs.

Q. Where do I get my Student ID Card?

We have certain dates/hours that you can get your Student ID Card (see notice available at Student Activities or the Information Desk).

Q. How do I get reimbursed for my club/account expenditure?

You must have your receipt(s) and a copy of club minutes (for clubs). Receipt(s) must be attached to the ASOC Purchase Request.

Q. How do I get my club/"ASOC" account balance?

You need to ask the Business Office for your account balance prior to July 1, 2003. After July 1, if you make your request in writing (email best), your balance will be ready within 2 business days.

Q. What is my “ASOC” account number?

You need to ask the Business Office for your account balance prior to July 1, 2003. After July 1, if you make your request in writing (email best), your balance will be ready within 2 business days.

Q. How can I get money from the ASOC?

You can ask the ASOC council for funding for anything, but it is up to ASOC to choose to provide funding to anyone. First, you must fill out the request form located by ASOC mailboxes. Then you should come to the ASOC meeting to present your request in person to answer any questions. It can take two weeks or longer to get funding.

Q. How do I get a refund on candy/soda?

You can go to the Ohlone College Bookstore in Building 5 on the Fremont campus and complete a refund request. They will give you a refund.

For more information, see the Student Activities and ASOC websites.

Class Schedule FAQ

See Class Schedule FAQ on Curriculum and Scheduling Office website.

Counseling FAQ

Q. Am I ready to transfer to a 4-year university after I earn an Associate's Degree?

Not necessarily – students are generally eligible for an Associate's Degree prior to completing their transfer requirements. The requirements for transfer differ from some associate degree requirements. With careful planning, both goals may be achieved in a timely fashion.

Q. How can I get credit for college course work completed at another institution?

An official transcript needs to be sent to Ohlone. Please be aware that some colleges are not accredited by agencies that Ohlone recognizes and that in some cases, no credit can be granted. Please make an appointment with a counselor if you are uncertain about your situation.

Q. Is it a good idea to take all my general education courses first?

It is usually a better idea to take a combination of major and general education courses once you have met prerequisite requirements. Some majors require quite a few classes that tend to be sequential. For example, biology majors need to study chemistry before they are eligible for biology courses and math courses before they are eligible for physics courses.

Q. What are Personal Development courses?

Personal development courses are courses that may assist new and undecided students in getting started in college, reviewing study skills, or learning what steps to take to decide on a major or career. These courses are all taught by counselors and are highly recommended to students, especially those who are just starting out in college and those who are struggling academically.

Q. Do I need to submit transcripts from other colleges to Ohlone if I am not satisfied with my past grades?

Yes, college grades are part of your permanent record and, as such, you will be required to submit transcripts from every college you have attended. Most colleges have some type of academic forgiveness policy that may help to improve low grade point averages due to past poor performance.

Q. What is a unit?

A unit, also referred to as a credit hour, is basically a measurement of time in college. For example, a 3-unit semester-length course means roughly 3 classroom hours per week.

Q. How do I know which instructor to choose?

Students have different learning styles, and teachers have different teaching styles. What is right for one person may not be right for another. In your first term, you may be more limited by availability of classes and scheduling constraints than by your choice of instructor.

Q. What is full-time status as a student?

Full-time students are those who take a minimum of 12 units per semester with the exception of the Summer term. Some students need to prove full-time status for medical or car insurance programs.

Q. How do I see a counselor?

Counselors are generally available Monday through Thursday 9:00am to 6:30pm, and Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm. Please check the Counseling website, the Class Schedule, or call (510) 659-6110 to confirm the counseling hours. There are two ways to see a counselor: Drop-in counseling is offered at the Counseling Department days and evenings.

Use drop-in counseling for quick 5-10 minute questions. Counselors do not evaluate transcripts nor develop Student Educational Plans during drop-in.

Counseling appointments can be made up to 1 week in advance. These appointments are offered in 30-minute intervals and can be utilized to answer more in-depth questions, to evaluate transcripts, and to develop Student Educational Plans. To make an appointment, you may go online or call the Counseling Department at (510) 659-6110.

For more information, see Counseling.

Financial Aid FAQ

Q. How do I get financial aid?

All students interested in financial aid should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), either online at or by filling out the paper form. If you need assistance completing the application, drop by the Financial Aid Office in Room 7249 on the second floor of Building 7, Fremont campus (hours are posted on the Financial Aid website), stop by the Student Services Center on the Newark Center campus, or visit the Financial Aid website.

Q. When will I be receiving financial aid money?

Once your financial aid file is complete your file will be reviewed, then awarded. Your award letter can be found on WebAdvisor. When you are awarded, you will receive your check on the next scheduled disbursement. Disbursement dates will be posted at the Financial Aid Office, as well as on the Financial Aid website.

Q. What documents do I need to submit?

The Financial Aid Office will send each student a Missing Document letter asking the student to submit specific information and forms. The Student Aid Report (SAR) you receive from FAFSA will give you an idea of the type of information the Financial Aid Office will request.

Q. How do I get a Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver?

There are 2 ways to receive a fee waiver if you are a California resident. Students are more likely to qualify for a BOG by completing the FAFSA. Once Ohlone College receives and processes the FAFSA, if financial need is determined, the fee waiver will be awarded. A student can also complete the Board of Governors Fee Waiver application at the Financial Aid Office. The BOG application has a stricter income standard and eligibility is determined on financial need based on the federal tax return, public assistance, SSI or Veterans dependency.

Q. Can I get a refund if I registered before I got the BOG Fee Waiver?

If you are qualified for a BOG Fee Waiver after you pay for your classes, you may request a refund which will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Q. What does the BOG Fee Waiver cover?

The BOG waives the $46 per unit enrollment fee for registered classes at the time the BOG is awarded. The fee waiver does not cover audited courses nor courses dropped prior to receiving the BOG. The student is also responsible for the miscellaneous fees, including the health fee, student activity fee, and the online access fee.

Q. Do I need to fill out the FAFSA every year?

Yes! The FAFSA or a FAFSA Renewal must be submitted each academic year. Students who provided their email address on the FAFSA will receive email notification of the FAFSA Renewal online. Those who did not provide an email address will receive a FAFSA Renewal application by mail. Filing a Renewal FAFSA is much quicker and easier than filing a new FAFSA form.

Q. When is the deadline for Financial Aid/Cal Grant applications?

The FAFSA is used to apply for both federal and state aid money. To be considered for the Entitlement Cal Grant, the FAFSA must be postmarked on March 2 for the coming academic year (i.e., March 2, 2007 for the 2007-2008 award year). The student must have a GPA of 2.0 or better and meet the California Student Aid Commission requirements. The deadline for the second possibility, called the Competitive Cal Grant, is September 2. This Cal Grant has much stricter GPA and household qualifications.

Q. When will I be receiving information regarding Cal Grant?

Generally, the California Student Aid Commission begins notifying Cal Grant applicants of their status in late April preceding the award year, but in recent years, the actual dollar amount of the award has been unknown until the Governor signs the State Budget in August or September.

Q. Will I be receiving financial aid money over the summer?

Financial Aid is not ordinarily disbursed for the Summer term. If you will be needing aid during the summer, please notify the Financial Aid Office by May 1. Any aid paid during the summer is based on the amount you receive during the Fall and Spring semesters.

Q. Can a high school student apply for financial aid?


Q. What are your business hours?

Our operating hours are posted on the Financial Aid website.

The FAQ on the Financial Aid Office website has additional information.

Information Desk FAQ

Q. How do I find out about enrolling for a class?

The Admissions and Records website, as well as the current printed Class Schedule, includes application and registration information. Students must first apply by completing an online or paper application. Placement testing, new student orientation, and counseling are all steps to a successful enrollment.

Q. How can I find a faculty member?

Contact the Information Desk in the second floor lobby of Building 7 on the Fremont campus. The Information Desk has the faculty office phone number for full-time faculty. Students can also look through the full-time office hours cards. If the faculty member is part-time, we suggest that the student leave a note in the instructor's mailbox.

Q. I lost my wallet, notebook, keys, etc. Did you find them?

The Campus Police Services / Safety and Security Office at (510) 659-6111 is responsible for Lost and Found on campus. Call the Security Office to register the loss so they can call you when/if it is found.

Q. Where may I get some change (for phone, etc.)?

Check with the Ohlone College Bookstore in Building 5 on the Fremont campus.

Q. Do you know the dates for fall or spring break? When does the next semester begin?

Refer to the online Academic Calendar or the Academic calendar in the printed Class Schedule.

Q. Do you have a copy of the Class Schedule? Where can I get a Class Schedule?

The printed Class Schedule is available for purchase at the Ohlone College Bookstore. You may search for classes using the online Class Schedule. Printed Class Schedules are available for purchase at the Ohlone College Bookstore. The searchable online Class Schedule is more current than a printed Class Schedule.

International Programs and Services FAQ

Q. How does an international student apply to Ohlone College?

If you or someone you know possesses or wishes to obtain an F-1 Student Visa to study at Ohlone College, visit the International Programs and Services website for information on how to apply. Students holding most other Visas may apply directly to the Ohlone College Admissions and Records office.

Q. I am in or coming to the U.S. on a Tourist Visa. May I study at Ohlone College?

Tourist (B-2) Visa holders are generally prohibited from studying at Ohlone College. Rare exceptions to this general policy are made depending upon an individual student’s objectives. Contact the International Programs and Services office for more information at telephone (510) 659-6439.

The International Programs and Services office can also assist Tourist Visa holders with applications to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), for a Change of Visa Status to F-1 Student Visa status.

Q. I am in the U.S. on a Visa other than F-1 (Student) or B-2 (Tourist). Who can help me confirm my eligibility to study at Ohlone College and the tuition and fees I would be charged if I do so?

The Ohlone College Admissions and Records office can assist most students in your situation. If you have immigration status-related questions of a potentially complex nature, you may also wish to consult with the International Programs and Services office for guidance.

Visit the International Programs and Services website for office hours, location and additional contact information.

The FAQ on the International Programs and Services website has additional information.

Placement Testing FAQ

Q. Is everyone required to take the Placement Tests?

Placement tests are required for all English and Math classes and classes with English and Math prerequisites.

Q. If I take the Placement Test at another college, do I need to take Ohlone College's test, too?

Not necessarily. Ohlone College may be able to accept placement tests from other Community Colleges. Students need to submit verification of placement tests from other colleges to an Ohlone counselor who will determine whether the placement test requirement can be waived.

Warning: You will not be able to enroll in English and math classes, or classes with math or English prerequisites until you have been cleared for appropriate levels.

Q. What happens if I am not satisfied with my Placement Test scores?

If you are not satisfied with your placement test scores, you may retest. See the Retest Policy.

If you are still not satisfied with your placement results, you may appeal to the Dean of Counseling or the Assessment Coordinator.

The FAQ on the Placement Testing Center website has additional information.

Student Health Center FAQ

Q. How much does it cost to be seen at the Student Health Center?

You have already paid; it is included in your Student Health Services Fee. You can be seen by the nurse practitioner as many times as needed during the semester. There are low cost fees for some services such as pregnancy testing, immunizations, TB tests, etc.

Q. Where is the Student Health Center?

The Student Health Center is located in Room 7302 on the third floor of Building 7 at the Fremont campus.

Q. What are the Student Health Center's hours of operation?

These are posted on the Student Health Center website. The Health Center is closed when classes are not in session.

Q. Can I use the Student Health Center if I have insurance?


Q. Can I get birth control at the Health Center?


Q. What do I do if I don't have a doctor?

Students are encouraged to use the Student Health Center if they do not have medical insurance. The nurse practitioner can act as your primary provider and for ongoing care. She can also refer you to specialists in the community for low cost services.

Q. Will you call my house?

Never without your authorization.

Q. Does the Student Health Center do sport physicals?

No, not on a regular basis because of liability. The Athletics Department makes provisions for sports physicals through their department by contracting with physicians in the area.

Q. Can I get dental care at the Health Center?

No, but we have referrals to dentists who will give discounts to Ohlone students.

Q. Can I get STD testing at the Health Center?


Q. Can I get the health fee waived?

See Health Services Fee for exemptions.

Q. Where do I get handicap parking permits?

The nurse practitioner can authorize handicap parking.

Q. We get confused with Health Sciences and the Student Health Center. How are they different?

Health Sciences is the educational division at Ohlone College that oversees the Registured Nurse, Physical Therapist Assistant, and Respiratory Therapy programs. The Health Sciences Division Office is located on the Newark Center campus. More information about Health Sciences.

The Student Health Center is a primary care clinic, just like a doctor's office, that diagnoses and treats illnesses and injuries for Ohlone College students. For more information, see Student Health Center.

The FAQ on the Student Health Center website has additional information.

Transfer Center FAQ

Q. Where are you located?

Building 7, third floor lobby, Fremont campus.

Q. How do we contact you?

Q. Do you have to be a student to receive services?

Yes, we require an Ohlone College Student ID Number in order to register for services.

Q. Do I have to see my counselor before signing up to see a UC or CSU College Outreach Recruiter?

While it is advisable to have met with your counselor and/or conducted some research on the university and its program offerings, you aren’t required to have done so before meeting with a university representative. You will need your Ohlone Student ID Number and have declared a major through Admissions and Records. To make an appointment with a university representative, please visit or contact the Transfer Center.

Q. Do you have university applications?

CSUs and UCs accept online applications. Go to CSUMentor to apply to CSUs or UC Applications to apply to UCs. Private institutions may utilize the Common Application. Otherwise, for private and/or out-of-state institution applications, visit their website for direction. Transfer Center staff can help you learn how to navigate through this process. Workshops that review both applications and the UC Personal statement are offered. Check Transfer Workshops for the schedule.

Q. How do I obtain a scholarship?

The Transfer Center has many resources to track down scholarships, but all student who would like financial assistance should first complete the FAFSA. The Financial Aid Office, located in Room 7249 on the second floor of Building 7 at the Fremont campus, has additional information regarding scholarships.

Q. How do I know what classes to take?

Ohlone College counselors are located on both the Fremont and Newark Center campuses. It is crucial that students meet with counselors to discuss career plans, transfer plans and ask questions that pertain to long-range educational plans.

Q. The Transfer Center has some great books! May I borrow one for a day or two?

Unfortunately, we cannot allow our materials to leave our center. However, you are welcome to utilize any of our resources during open hours. For more information, see Transfer Center.

The FAQ on the Transfer Center website has additional information.

Work Experience FAQ

Q. What is Work Experience Education?

Work Experience Education is a program in which students gain academic credits for learning while in the workplace. The ultimate goal of the program is to teach students those skills and attitudes that will equip them to function and adapt as an employee in a variety of situations and jobs.

Q. Why would I want to be in the Work Experience Education program?

  • You can earn credits while learning new skills on the job.
  • You can develop on-the-job learning opportunities that will help keep you up-to-date in the ever changing job market.
  • You can use your Work Experience Education credits towards general elective credits.

Q. What's the difference between General Work Experience and Occupational Work Experience?

General Work Experience (WEX-185) is supervised employment that is intended to assist students in acquiring desirable work habits, attitudes and career awareness. The work experience need not be related to the student's educational or occupational goal.

Occupational Work Experience Education is supervised employment extending classroom based occupational learning to a job site, which directly relates to the student's educational or occupational goal.

Q. Do I get credits just for working?

No, you don't. In order to qualify for Work Experience Education credits there are a number of tasks you must complete during the semester. First, you must complete the required forms including the Job Data Sheet, Job Visit Data, and the Training Agreement.

Next, you and your supervisor must agree on learning objectives that you will complete during the semester. These must be specific and measurable objectives that can be completed in the length of the semester. You will need to spend some time working with your supervisor on this task.

You will also be expected to be in touch via email or mail with your instructor a minimum of three times during the semester. These letters should detail how your work experience is going, identifying any problems or successes, and giving a basic progress report on your learning objectives.

The instructor, your supervisor and the participant will meet during the semester to gauge the progress on the learning objectives. During this visit the instructor will speak with the supervisor; assessing the student's performance, and, will speak with the student; assessing the supervisor's level of support and assistance in meeting the learning objectives.

Finally, you will need to prepare a written self-evaluation report telling from your own perspective the extent to which you have achieved your objectives. This report should summarize your work experience detailing how you have benefited from your participation in the program.

Q. How will my grade be determined?

In the Work Experience Education packet, you will find a sheet, which outlines a point-based plan used to determine your semester grade. These points correlate to the assignments you are given to complete throughout the semester.

Q. Who will be my instructor?

Ohlone College will assign an instructor to assist you throughout the semester. This instructor will be the individual that you should be in contact with regarding any problems you may encounter or any questions you may have.

Q. Can I register for WEX and no other class?

NO. You must have a total of 7 units in order to take WEX. The 7 units that you have registered for can include the WEX, but you must carry at least 7 units altogether.

Q. What is the most important piece of advice you can give a student?

Attend the mandatory orientation! Each semester the WEX Orientation class times are listed in the Class Schedule in the WEX section and lists between 2-3 different times from which to chose. During this Orientation all of your questions will be answered and all of the important points of the class will be covered. For more information, see Work Experience Education.

The FAQ on the Work Experience Education website has additional information.

Skip plugin notice.

Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".