About Associate Degrees and Certificates at Ohlone College

Go to the list of currently offered Associate Degrees and Certificates.

Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT)

California Community Colleges now offer associate degrees for transfer to the CSU. These include associate in arts for transfer or associate in science for transfer degrees (ADT). These degrees are designed to provide a clear pathway to a CSU major and baccalaureate degree. California Community College students who are awarded an ADT degree are guaranteed admission with junior standing somewhere in the CSU system and given priority admission consideration to their local CSU campus or to a program that is deemed similar to their community college major. This priority does not guarantee admission to specific majors or campuses. Students may not use Ohlone College General Education (Plan A) for an associate degree for transfer. Associate degrees for transfer are approved by Ohlone’s Curriculum Committee, the Ohlone Community College District Board of Trustees, and the California Community Colleges’ Chancellor’s Office.

(Source: Ohlone College Catalog, 2017-2018.)

Associate Degrees and Certificates of Achievement

Ohlone offers associate degrees that are designed for students intending to transfer; with a general focus for students whose immediate educational goal may be to complete an associate degree or to transfer; and with an occupational focus for students interested in preparing for employment in certain fields, although these degrees may also be used by students intending to transfer. These associate degrees combine the focus of an emphasis or major within a discipline and the breadth of general education. Certificates of achievement do not include the breadth of general education but allow students to focus primarily on their chosen occupational program. Associate degrees require a minimum of 60 semester units whereas certificates of achievement are 18 semester units or more.

Both associate degrees and Certificates of Achievement are approved by Ohlone's Curriculum Committee, the Ohlone Community College District Board of Trustees, and the Chancellor's Office of the California Community Colleges. Accordingly, associate degrees and Certificates of Achievement may appear on a student's transcript.

(Source: Ohlone College Catalog, 2017-2018.)

Certificates of Accomplishment

Certificates of accomplishment are awarded upon the completion of an organized course of study for a specific course, usually career or job related. Certificates of accomplishment consist of a maximum of 17.5 semester units and allow students to finish the program in a shorter period of time. Certificates of accomplishment are approved by Ohlone’s Curriculum Committee and the Ohlone Community College District Board of Trustees, but are not approved by the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office. Therefore, per Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations (§55070.b), certificates of accomplishment may not appear on a student’s transcript

In order to earn a Certificate of Accomplishment, students must:

  1. complete satisfactorily the courses listed for the particular certificate.
  2. complete at least 50% of the required units at Ohlone College.
  3. maintain a 2.0 grade point average.

(Source: Ohlone College Catalog, 2017-2018.)